As enabled by powerful technology, microelectronics have become essential in our daily lives. They are also used in a wide range of fields such as healthcare, environmental monitoring, robotics or entertainment etc. This introductory course in microelectronics is tailored for non-engineering students and teaches how to use microelectronic chip components interacting with the environment through sensors and communicate wirelessly with other devices. It covers topics from evaluation and implementation of sensor interface, data conversion, signal processing and device communications. This customized course is bottom-up based, which starts from introducing basic components in information systems, such as 5G communication. Then, followed by system and architectural interface considerations. Finally, the students have a chance to complete a case study on one for Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (AIoTs) related system.
By the end of this course, non-engineering students will have ability to:
- Acquire science and technology knowledge with an emphasis on basic microelectronic chip related topics.
- Identify the specifications on basic microelectronic chip components.
- Apply basic microelectronic chip technologies to their corresponding major subject.
- Identify engineering hardware problems of microelectronic chips.
- Recognize the importance of microelectronic chip technologies through understanding its basic knowledge and general applications in everyday life.
- Integrate the microelectronic engineering professional and ethical responsibility.